Saturday, May 3, 2014

Hiking the Grand Canyon - Rim to Rim- Lisa's Story

In 1977 our family took a 6 week cross-country trip from California to New Jersey. We camped along the way and visited most of the National Parks. 

I was only 17 years old, yet I had dreams of being 'one with nature' when 'I grew up'. I loved the water, the ocean, bicycling and hiking. I just wanted to be outdoors, to be on my own, with animals and plants and FREE. 

My most memorable event on the trip was my walk down to Indian Gardens in the Grand Canyon. We were camping and sightseeing on the South Rim, but I knew there was more. I didn't just want to stand on the rim, I wanted to be 'one' with the canyon. So I took off down the Bright Angel Trail. No water, no food, only tennis shoes. Heck, I was 17, and it was only a walk. Besides, I had just spent the past few weeks in a car with my family. I needed ALONE time! 

As I started walking down the path my first impression of the canyon was "no big deal.. just a walk in the park." The path was well marked, the towering rocks were off-white and there were lots and lots of people. However, as I continued down the path there were less and less people around me, and it became quieter and more surreal. Surrounded by towering rock, overlooking the expanse of the canyon, I started to feel at peace with myself and my surroundings. As I walked deeper and deeper into the depths of the canyon the colors of the rock (although muted) were changing from off-white, to pink, to red, to purple. All I could hear was the sound of my feet shuffling along the sandy path, as my breathing became deeper and deeper. I was finally getting my much needed alone time! 

As I reached Indian Gardens I could here water running, the bright angel creek was to my left. The path was lined with green trees, I had made it to Indian Garden- on my own! After taking a small break and getting some much needed water, I continued to a side trail toward Indian Garden campground, where I met a family who was camping overnight. They were hiking the canyon  'rim to rim'. Wow, now that sounded like an adventure! I continued down to the end of the plateau, looking over to the other side the thought stuck in my mind like an ear worm: Rim to rim, to rim, to rim, to rim.. I go.. I want to go from rim to rim, to rim to rim, to rim to rim. 

I headed back up the South Kaibab trail, knowing my parents would begin to wonder about me. I told them I was going for a "short hike". On the hike back out of the canyon I kept thinking to myself what it would someday feel like to be an 'adult' ; to chose to go hiking, or traveling, without the constraints of parents or expectations of others. As any other normal teenager, I couldn't wait to be on my own, to control my own destiny, to be FREE.

I finally reached the South rim, a bit exhausted (considering it was July!), but most importantly, I felt FREE and empowered. I accomplish something that I set my mind to. I could do ANYTHING I set my mind to. Standing over the bright angel trail I looked far into the distance and said to myself, "some day I want to hike from here to there (meaning the other side of the Grand Canyon)..and back. Rim, to rim, to rim.

On my 50th birthday year I was joined by a group of friends and family, for a 3 day hike: rim to rim to rim. It took 3 days, but I did it. (In fact, I walked with a sling because I was 4 weeks post-rotator cuff surgery!) The next year my sister Michele and I walked the South Kaibab trail down, and the Bright Angel trail back up. The weather was much cooler (November) and the colors more intense. But it wasn't rim, to rim, to rim. Last year I had plans to walk rim to rim to rim, in two days with Dave, but we only may it one way. 

I made a promise to myself last year that I would come back, and try it again- in 2 days. So, on May 22nd and 23rd of this year (2014) I will attempt to walk the Grand Canyon rim, to rim, to rim. Gina Hubany will be joining me, which is truly exciting because it is her first time walking through the Grand Canyon. 

I can't wait for Gina and Lisa's grand canyon adventure.

I invite you to join us on this adventure virtually.The rim to rim walk is documented on Google Maps. Click HERE to view it

The red line is for the Bright Angel Trail. The light blue line (which is difficult to see on the map) is for the North Kaibab trail.

1 comment: